Gas and Power
Fully integrated solutions along the entire energy value chainHeadquartered in Houston, Texas, Siemens Gas and Power is the only company in the world that can provide fully integrated products, solutions and services across the energy value chain of oil and gas production, power generation and transmission.
What we do
Siemens Gas and Power is focused on helping customers navigate the world’s most pressing energy problems, both for today and tomorrow. Essential applications include providing products, solutions and services that make fossil energy greener; delivering decentralized, flexible power solutions; managing the complexities of the grid; improving and de-risking aging assets; and connecting supply and demand through storage technologies such as grid-scale batteries and Power-to-X technologies. Siemens Gas and Power has a broad customer base that includes oil and gas, utilities, independent power producers, engineering, procurement and construction companies (EPCs), transmission system operators, and industrial companies in sectors such as mining and chemicals. Gas and Power offers:
- Upstream, midstream and downstream solutions for oil and gas extraction and production that maximize OPEX and CAPEX investment while minimizing environmental impacts. Our portfolio includes innovative technologies for gas compression and injection, pipeline compression, and power generation and distribution.
- Products for power generation, like gas and steam turbines, generators, turbine packages, and tailored OEM power plant solutions for decentralized, industrial and heavy-duty power plants and fast power solutions. These products and solutions focus on business success for utilities and industrial users by increasing turnover, reducing costs and improving profitability. Depending on customer needs, options range from components to power trains to full turnkey solutions.
- Products, systems, solutions and services for the reliable transmission and distribution of electric power. Our offering includes facilities and systems for the low-voltage and distribution power grid level and high-voltage transmission systems.
- An extensive service network with expert factory or field service support that improves asset performance. Our service portfolio includes maintenance, repairs, replacements, modernizations and upgrades of components, such as gas, steam and wind turbines, as well as generators, in large-scale and industrial power plants, and compressors for the oil and gas industry.
- Remote monitoring and diagnostics that lower the cost of energy, ranging from the development of proactive solutions to data analysis on individual turbines, as well as the overall fleet.
- Proven project capabilities – not just for products, but also for solutions and services (including digital) and project financing.
At a glanceGas and Power makes a difference in Energy by: helping customers enhance oil recovery to make the most of our natural resources, capturing waste gas and turning it into power, bringing power to places that don’t have it, delivering power from remote wind farms to where it’s needed, and using remote digital technologies to keep plants running in politically unstable regions.
Bringing energy to the people, together. Ende Andina is expanding three of its thermal power plants to add more than one gigawatt to the Bolivian power grid, with components like gas turbines and logistics from Siemens.
Read more about how Bolivia and Siemens are improving the access to electrical power for the country’s growing population and its developing economy here.
Gas and Power Solutions
In relation to the Gas & Power verticals (Oil and Gas, Central Power Generation, Transmission, and Power Generation):
- The development and product ownership of industrial controls and smart sensors is with our colleagues in Smart Infrastructure. Gas & Power is addressing requirements and funding R&D for further enhancing our I&C portfolio for our customer needs. Gas & Power and Smart Infrastructure will move towards one control system (DCS+) in the future.
- Gas & Power is looking into the power plant control systems to take the next step to address the future needs of our customers. This includes topics like Edge or DCS in the cloud.
- Gas & Power will continue to enhance the connectivity and analytics capabilities of our products, solutions (e.g. Sensformer), and the installed asset base to enable our customers to grasp the value of digitalization.
- We are investing in capabilities and partnerships to provide seamlessly integrated solutions and to enhance our sensory and analytical capabilities.
The energy value chain used to be linear, starting with oil & gas extraction and ending with the consumption of energy. Today, the global society is facing a very different energy future, with more interdependencies and complexities. The energy industry is transforming amidst a digital and technological revolution, moving us toward ever more complex, multi-modal and decentralized systems. Existing business also models are being disrupted and traditional energy value chains recomposed. The result is a system that is no longer “linear;” instead, it will require integrated energy ecosystems that span the entire value chain. That means traditional and new elements across generation, transmission, distribution and consumption must be seamlessly integrated to realize their full potential. Managing this complexity is the true challenge of shaping the new energy future.
Siemens and the new GP organization have clearly identified the changes in the market and not only reacted but are now driving the market with a fully integrated development and investment approach via the PDI Business (Project Development and Investment). In this approach, we not only invest in very early stages of power projects in order to secure market share and above average profits, we also fully utilize the financing portfolio Siemens is offering which is reaching from Equity Finance, via Structured Debt Products down to Leasing and Rental Solutions.
Renewables are certainly part of the solution to decrease harmful emissions. To ensure power supply, hydrocarbons are essential in the foreseeable future. To that end, Gas & Power is developing solutions to reduce the environmental footprint of oil and gas activities. It is also building out the critical transportation infrastructure (namely pipeline and LNG) to move nature gas - a cleaner alternative to coal - to destination markets where it can be used as a feedstock for power. Moreover, Gas & Power supports safe, clean and affordable power with our transmission portfolio. In addition, Gas and Power is developing Decentralized Energy Systems solutions for verticals and hybrids, which will be an essential part of our solutions for future energy systems. And finally, Gas & Power is developing technologies to ensure that grids can accommodate power from multiple sources, including renewables.