Power plants are crucial for a modern infrastructure that benefits the society. They supply urgently needed energy for cities, industry and transport. In 1897, Siemens builds South Africa's first power plant, laying the foundation for the country's electrification.
Having already been commissioned in 1894 to electrify the mines on the Witwatersrand as well as the up-and-coming city of Johannesburg, Siemens & Halske was awarded a contract to plan and construct a coal-fired power plant in the immediate vicinity of the coal mines in Brakpan. Electricity generated at the plant was transmitted to various consumers in the gold mines via high-voltage power lines. The Rand Central Electric Works (RCEW) near Johannesburg was thus not only the first publicly owned power plant in South Africa but also the first to transmit power at a voltage of 10,000 volts.
Construction work began at the end of 1895 under a contract from Rand Central Electric Works Ltd., a London-based company that had been founded specifically for the project. The plant’s technical equipment was based on the power plants that Siemens & Halske had built to date in Berlin. In addition to the power plant itself, the company built apartment houses, boarding houses and other accommodations for workers and management. This infrastructure was urgently needed, because enough skilled workers had to be recruited from Europe and kept on the job to build and operate the plant.
After just two years of construction, the biggest three-phase power plant Siemens & Halske had ever built went on line at the end of 1897 — at first with only three of its four three-phase generators, with one being kept in reserve. Each of the Siemens generators produced 975 kilowatts of power with a voltage of 700 volts – thus ranking among the largest generators of the day. To reduce transmission losses, transformers were used to step up the voltage of the generators’ 700-volt power to 10,000 volts. The voltage was then stepped down to 120 volts or 500 volts at the consumer end.
The region’s demand for electricity rose steadily up to the end of the 19th century. In Johannesburg, for example, gas lighting was increasingly giving way to incandescent electric lamps. Furthermore, additional gold mines were being acquired as customers. However, there were also setbacks. In 1899, the Second Boer War broke out between the Boer republics and the British Empire, not only impairing mining operations but also making the power plant itself a target for destruction.
Early in 1901, the rebels blew up the generators — with only one remaining largely undamaged. By the end of the year, the equipment had been rebuilt and power production ramped up again. In 1903, with all four generators running, the plant reached full capacity, supplying half of the electric power for Johannesburg, among other customers.
Dr. Franz Hebestreit
It looks like you are using a browser that is not fully supported. Please note that there might be constraints on site display and usability. For the best experience we suggest that you download the newest version of a supported browser: