The project will enable non-governmental actors to help in developing, implementing and monitoring national anticorruption strategies in Arab countries.
The project is a major component in a broader regional anti-corruption initiative that will generate knowledge and support inclusive anti-corruption policy reform. It will develop the capacities of representatives from at least 40 civil society organizations (CSOs) and businesses across the region, focusing on the implementation of articles 12 and 13 of the UNCAC, and on mainstreaming transparency and integrity standards and practices in various business sectors, with a view to enabling concrete participation in national anti-corruption strategies in at least 4 countries.
Key activities include:
- Training leading non-governmental practitioners (NGPs), using specially developed material
- Supporting CSOs and businesses to formulate joint policy positions on various anti-corruption themes and engage governments in direct dialogue thereon, and
- Developing a service oriented Portal for the Arab Anti Corruption and Integrity Network (ACINET) to promote knowledge sharing between various stakeholders
Description of Integrity Partner
UNDP is the UN's global development network. It operates in 170 countries and territories, helping to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities and institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results.
UNDP is the lead agency on democratic governance in the UN system supporting efforts to advance related results in four main areas:
- Expanding people's opportunities to participate in political decision-making, particularly those of women and the poor
- Making democratic institutions more accountable and responsive to citizens, supporting national parliaments, public administrations and rule of law
- Promoting the principles of democratic governance — in particular, anti-corruption, human rights, women's empowerment and equal opportunity
- Supporting country-led democratic governance assessments that help countries to assess their needs, monitor their progress and achieve their goals
UNDP’s activities in the Arab States region build on UNDP’s five thematic priorities, with additional emphasis placed on addressing the main impediments to human development in the region as identified by the Arab Human Development Report series, namely freedom and good governance, knowledge, and women’s empowerment.
This project is supported by Siemens as part of the Siemens Integrity Initiative.
Source: Project profile provided by the Integrity Partner as at date of funding agreement. For updates kindly refer to the latest Siemens Integrity Initiative Annual Report.