TIA Portal Modules | from V15150 Digital Twin
The Learning & Training Documents "DigitalTwin@Education" have a modular structure, include step-by-step instructions to make them easy to follow and cover the following topics:
- Module 1: Virtual commissioning of a provided virtual 3D sorting plant model with the TIA Portal, PLCSIM Advanced and NX MCD (Mechatronics Concept Designer)
- Module 2: Explanation of the specified automation program in TIA Portal for the control of the existing 3D sorting plant model
- Module 3: Presentation of possible modifications and optimizations of the automation program in TIA Portal for the provided virtual 3D sorting plant model
- Module 4: Modeling and creation of your own static 3D model for the sorting plan using the NX CAD system
- Module 5: Dynamization of the created 3D sorting plant model using the NX MCD CAE system
- Module 6 – in Preparation: Creation and mapping of the relevant signals for the automation program for the created 3D sorting plant model in NX MCD. In addition, validation of the desired functionality of the digital twin in interaction with the virtual controller in PLCSIM Advanced.
They are prepared for use with SIMATIC STEP 7 Professional V15 or higher, SIMATIC WinCC Advanced V15 or higher, PLCSIM Advanced V2.0 or higher and NX MCD V12.0 or higher.
The following pages show a detailed description of the dynamic 3D model from Module 1 "Virtual commissioning of a production plant using a 3D model". The in-depth explanation of a proposed solution for an automation program, both for the PLC and for the HMI, rounds off this module.
The detailed explanation of the automation program refers to the ready-made project "150- 001_DigitalTwinAtEducation_TIAP_Basic", which was provided with Module 1.
In this module, expansion options and optimizations of the automation program explained and created in Module 1 and Module 2 are presented. This module also includes a discussion of possible solutions. The changes relate exclusively to the automation program in this module. Adaptation of the dynamic 3D model is not considered in detail here.
Now that you have had the opportunity in the preceding modules to take a close look at the automation engineering aspects, the focus now turns to modeling and preparing your own 3D models. In this module, you will use the NX CAD system from Siemens to independently create an initial static model of the sorting plant. This will give you the opportunity to become familiar with the basic operations and functionalities of NX.
In Module 4 of the DigitalTwin@Education workshop series, you have performed the first steps in creating 3D models. You were able to successfully model all the individual models needed for the sorting plant. You then inserted and positioned them in an assembly in such a way as to resemble the appearance of the model provided in Module 1.
The goal of this module is to provide your static models with dynamic properties in order to allow physical simulations. In accomplishing this, you will become acquainted with the basic operations and functionalities of the Mechatronics Concept Designer (MCD) NX add-on.
In Module 4 of the DigitalTwin@Education workshop series, you created the static 3D model of a sorting plant entirely on your own. The result was an assembly in which the required individual components of the sorting plant are inserted and positioned correctly in space. Building on that, Module 5 was concerned with dynamization of the 3D model. By assigning physical properties, the components of the sorting plant are able to interact with one another.
In order for the digital twin to work in interaction with a virtual PLC, what is finally required is a connection between the Mechatronics Concept Designer (MCD) and PLCSIM Advanced – the virtual PLC that will be used to simulate the PLC with the automation program. The goal of this module is to create signals and to map them to the two programs. You will then use the automation program from Module 1 of the DigitalTwin@Education series to validate the correct functioning of your digital twin.
Digital Twin of a Transport Conveyor