Privacy Note for Industry Online Support App
Last update: October, 2019
Protecting the security and privacy of your personal data is important to Siemens AG, Werner-vonSiemens-Straße 1, 80333 München (“Siemens”). Therefore Siemens operates the Industry Online Support App (“App”) in compliance with applicable laws on data protection and data security
Categories of personal data processed and purpose of the processing
When using the App, Siemens processes the following personal data about you:
- Personal data that you voluntarily enter when using the app (i.e. when registering or contacting us, etc.), such as your first and last name, e-mail address, telephone number, information provided as part of a support request or any comments and forum posts you have published.
- Information that is automatically sent to us by your web browser or terminal device, such as your IP address, device type, browser type, previously visited web page, sub-pages visited or date and time of the specific visitor request.
We process your personal data for the following purposes:
- To offer the app’s services and functions.
- To verify your identity.
- To answer your specific requests.
The processing of personal data is necessary in order to achieve the above mentioned purposes. We only process your personal data if we are permitted by applicable law to do so. In particular, if you are based in the European Economic Area, the legal basis for Siemens processing your personal data is that such processing is necessary for the purposes of:
- Siemens exercising its rights and performing its obligations in connection with any contract we make wit h you (Article 6 (1) (b) General Data Protection Regulation),
- Compliance with Siemens’ legal obligations (Article 6 (1) (c) General Data Protection Regulation), and/or
- Legitimate interests pursued by Siemens (Article 6 (1) (f) General Data Protection Regulation). Generally, the legitimate interest pursued by Siemens in relation to our use of your personal data is the efficient operation, management and support of the App, but we may disclose other legitimate interests for specific uses.
In some cases, we may ask if you consent to the relevant use of your personal data. In such cases, the legal basis for Siemens processing that personal data is that you have consented (Article 6 (1) (a) Gener al Data Protection Regulation).
Processing of pseudonymized data for the creation of usage profiles
Siemens may store information on your interaction with the App in usage profiles for the purpose of analyzing your use of the App and allowing us to tailor the App to better match your interests. Usage profiles are created on pseudonymized basis only, i.e. Siemens does not link a usage profile to an individual user. You have the right to object to the creation of usage profiles with future effect by activating the check-box below.
To use certain functions of the app you may be required to provide certain App permissions. App permissions allow the App to access information stored on your device.
The App works with the following permissions:
- Identity: If you want to send us feedback with your device information (only if the checkbox for reading device data is activated).
- Contacts: If you would like to upload a Siemens contact person into your address book.
- Location: If you want to be provided with directions to your local Siemens point of contact (please also see chapter “Usage of Google Maps”).
- Photos/Media/Files: If you want to save your favorites, your offline cache, your support requests, and other files created in the app locally on the device.
- Camera: If you want to scan a product code or attach an image to a support request.
- Wi-Fi connection: For Wi-Fi access of the app.
You may manage the use of App permissions in the settings of your operating system. Please note that the use of certain functions of the App may not or no longer be possible if you deactivate the respective App permission.
This Privacy Notice only applies to this App, not to websites or applications offered and operated by third parties.
We may provide links to other websites or applications (i.e. Google Maps) which may be of interest to you.
Any link to an external website or application is marked as such. Siemens is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of external websites or applications.
Sharing of content
Certain functions of the App allow you to share the App’s content via Messenger Services, such as WhatsApp, installed on your device. When making use of this functionality, the respective content is sent via the Messenger Service selected by you. In this context Siemens has no access to information processed and stored within the respective Messenger Service, such as the recipients selected by you.
Usage of Google Maps
We use “Google Maps” to let you obtain directions to your local Siemens point of contact. When you use Google Maps, Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA („Google“) will process personal data which may include, inter alia, your device’s IP address and your location. Location data can only be processed if you granted permission to access your location data within the app. The data controller responsible for the processing of your personal data in connection with Google Maps is Google; Google’s privacy notice can be found at https://www.google.com/policies/privacy.
Transfer and disclosure of personal data
For the purposes mentioned above Siemens may transfer or disclose your personal data to:
- Other Siemens companies, if this is necessary in the context of offering and operating the App and answering your support request,
- Service providers (so-called data processors) such as hosting or IT-maintenance service providers, which only act upon instructions of Siemens and are contractually bound to act in compliance with applicable data protection law.
- Courts, law enforcement authorities, regulators or attorneys if necessary to comply with the law or for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims.
If you are located within the European Union or the European Economic Area, please be aware that sometimes the recipients to whom Siemens transfers or discloses your personal data are located in countries in which applicable laws do not offer the same level of data protection as the laws of your home country.
In such cases and if required by applicable law, Siemens takes measures to implement appropriate and suitable safeguards for the protection of your personal data. In particular:
- We share your personal data with Siemens companies in such countries only if they have implemented the Siemens Binding Corporate Rules („BCR“) for the protection of personal data. Further information about the Siemens BCR can be found here.
- We transfer personal data to external recipients in such countries only if the recipient has (i) entered into EU Standard Contractual Clauses with Siemens, (ii) implemented Binding Corporate Rules in its organization or (iii) – in case of US recipients – the recipient is certified under the Privacy Shield. You may request further information about the safeguards implemented in relation to specific transfers by contacting email@example.com.
Personal data published by you within the App’s forum functionalities may be globally accessible to other users of the App.
Unless indicated otherwise at the time of the collection of your personal data (e.g. within a form complete d by you), we erase your personal data if the retention of that personal data is no longer necessary (i) for the purposes for which they were collected or otherwise processed, or (ii) to comply with legal obligations.
The data protection law applicable to Siemens when processing your personal data may entitle you to sp ecific rights in relation to your personal data. You can find out more about those rights by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
In particular and subject to the respective statutory requirements, if you are located in the European Eco nomic Area, you are entitled to:
- Obtain from Siemens confirmation as to whether or not personal data concerning you are being proces sed, and where that is the case, access to the personal data.
- Obtain from Siemens the rectification of inaccurate personal data concerning you.
- Obtain from Siemens the erasure of your personal data.
- Obtain from Siemens restriction of processing regarding your personal data.
- Data portability concerning personal data, which you actively provided; and
- Object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, to processing of personal data concerning you.
Data Privacy Contact
The Siemens Data Privacy Organization provides support with any data privacy related questions, comm ents, concerns or complaints or in case you wish to exercise any of your data privacy related rights. The Siemens Data Privacy Organization may be contacted at: email@example.com.
The Siemens Data Privacy Organization will always use best efforts to address and settle any requests or complaints you bring to its attention. Besides contacting the Siemens Data Privacy Organization, you always have the right to approach the competent data protection authority with your request or complaint.
Do Not Track
At this time our Internet sites do not recognize or respond to “Do Not Track” browser signals.
This Application is not directed to children under the age of thirteen. We will not knowingly collect personal data via this Application from children under the age of thirteen without insisting that they seek prior parental consent if required by applicable law. We will only use or disclose personal data about a child to the extent permitted by law, to seek parental consent, pursuant to local law and regulations or to protect a child.
To protect your personal data against accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, use, or alteration and against unauthorized disclosure or access, Siemens uses reasonable physical, technical and organizational security measures. Unfortunately, there is no complete assurance of security in transit or storage to any information that you transmit, no complete assurance that information will not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by a breach of any of our physical, technical, or organizational measures.
For US Residents only
There are special notices that may need to be given to, and rights that may be available to, residents of certain US states. Please click here for those notices. The data of the latest update is indicated at the top of this Privacy Notice.
Siemens publishes privacy notices for selected mobile applications, including Industry Online Support App
We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time.