Optical Identification Systems
Flexible reading and verification
Optical identification is the key to digitization and transparency – and ensures complete traceability of products and components along the entire manufacturing, procurement and shipping process. Siemens offers you a complete, scalable portfolio of high-performance and flexible optical readers – for both stationary and manual applications. They enable fast and easy reading and verification of 1D/2D codes, optical character recognition (OCR) and object recognition, and ensure reliable identification on a wide variety of surfaces even under difficult ambient conditions. An unbeatable plus: All devices can be easily integrated into the automation environment and offer a variety of options for communication and connection.
SIMATIC MV Optical ReaderHigh-performing and intelligent, versatile in production and logistics – benefit from the bundled advantages of the compact MV series: In different performance classes – and with flexibly selectable accessories and optional communication modules for connection to the automation system.
Stationary high-end readers with especially high-performance image capture
With the optical readers, you can reliably read printed, lasered, drilled, punched and needled codes on a wide variety of surfaces. Extensive communication options enable simple integration into your automation solution – and together with MindSphere, form essential components of a successful digitization strategy.
Highlights of SIMATIC MV540, MV550 and MV560
- Highest reading performance of 1D/2D codes with up to 100 readings per second or up to 300 codes per image (bulk reading)
- High-performance, flexible accessories (lighting, optics)
- Easy handling thanks to one-button configuration
- Maximum system and failure safety
- Simple and secure connection to cloud applications
- Optimization of production processes and supply chains
- Reduction of downtime in plants
These readers are convincing due to the highest reading reliability with a variety of communication and connection options. The focus is on reading simple, high-contrast and/or matrix codes even under difficult ambient conditions.
Highlights of SIMATIC MV420 and MV440
- Simultaneous code reading, text reading and object recognition in a single image
- High processing speed of up to 70 readings per second
- Wide range of accessories (lighting, optics)
- Configuration via WBM
- Tested IT security
- Flexible and simple integration into automation thanks to standardized industrial interfaces and function blocks
Secure capture of 1D and 2D codes
The readers are suitable for labels with higher contrasts, but can also be used application-specifically for codes with lower contrasts. Versatile interfaces – whether RS232, USB or Bluetooth – open up universal application possibilities for you.
Highlights of SIMATIC MV320 and MV325
- High-performance 1D/2D code reading, even with low-contrast codes
- Flexible interface connection (RS232, USB, Bluetooth, ASM module connection)
- Rugged, ergonomic design for manual workplaces
Four steps are required for complete traceability during production and beyond: Marking, Verification, Reading, Communication (MVRC).
Marking is the application of the coding directly to the object.
Verification stands for checking the quality of markings on the object.
Reading is the reading in production or in case of service.
Communication includes the visualization and interpretation of the reading results.
Whether 1D barcode, 2D data matrix code or text recognition via OCR: Each technology has its specific strengths. For example, plain text recognition is used where information must also be legible for people, such as the best-before date. Siemens offers you proven products and systems for all these areas.
2D data matrix code
Compared to the barcode, the 2D data matrix code offers a higher storage capacity, more data security and a better reading rate in terms of viewing angle and illumination. These codes can be applied cost-effectively, e.g. together with shipping labels. In addition, they enable direct part marking (DPM) of products by laser, printing or nailing, which makes them particularly robust against external influences and has proven its worth especially in harsh industrial environments.
OCR licenses for SIMATIC MV440The SIMATIC MV440 stationary readers can be used with the OCR licenses "Text-Genius" and "Text-Genius Plus" for text recognition. They also enable simultaneous reading and comparison of plain text and machine-readable codes in one image field. The licenses are delivered as "Single License" on USB flash medium and can be loaded on the device and on replacement devices via the SIMATIC Automation License Manager (ALM) with a plug-in.
The "Text-Genius" OCR license enables flexible reading of numerous fonts without time-consuming training. In different performance classes – and with flexibly selectable accessories and optional communication modules for connection to the automation system.
These fonts are particularly suitable:
- OCR-A and OCR-B
- Semifont M13
- Arial and similar fonts
- All characters of the ASCII character set
"Text-Genius" runs on SIMATIC MV440 as of firmware version 3.0.
"Text-Genius Plus" includes all the features of "Text-Genius", plus the ability to train additional fonts and characters, including special characters and graphical symbols – easily and self-explanatory with thumbnails. The convenient algorithm of "Text-Genius" minimizes the effort required for training. High-performing and intelligent, versatile in production and logistics – benefit from the bundled advantages of the compact MV series:
"Text-Genius Plus" runs on SIMATIC MV440 as of firmware version 5.0.
- Flexible reading of numerous fonts without time-consuming training
- Fast and secure reading (up to over 1,000 readings per minute) for high-speed applications
- Simultaneous reading and comparison of plain text and machine-readable 1D/2D codes in one image field
- Flexible reading of character heights between 15 and 55 pixels
- Individual parameterization for max. five freely definable image regions
- Read mirrored, rotated and inverted texts
"Pat-Genius" license for SIMATIC MV440With "Pat-Genius", SIMATIC MV440 can also be used for object and position detection. It can also be used to read 1D/2D codes or plain text. All functions for reading and comparing plain text and machine-readable codes can be freely combined in one image field. "Pat-Genius" is used with Pick&Place for quality control in production, position detection in feeding technology as well as quantity monitoring in feeding technology and production. The license is delivered as "Single License" on USB flash medium and can be loaded onto the device via the SIMATIC Automation License Manager (ALM) with a plug-in. The license runs on any SIMATIC MV440 as of firmware version 6.0.
Object recognition is used to search for and recognize trained patterns in the image:
- Object recognition (classification)
- Position detection (position, rotary position, scaling)
- Presence verification (object recognition and position control with setpoint specification)
- Completeness check (multiple presence verification with setpoint specification)
- Symbol recognition (recognition of the contour of any character or symbol)
- High scan rate of up to 2,500 scans per minute
- Simple parameterization without special expertise
- Versatile application in various industries
- Object recognition can be flexibly combined with code reading and text recognition
- Simple integration of the "object recognition" function into the automated ramp-up of a production line by means of function blocks for SIMATIC and SIMOTION and by means of TIA Portal library elements (see SIMATIC MV440).
- Easy integration of the "object recognition" function into PC-based applications through TCP, HTTP commands and HTML output
Marking quality test with Veri-GeniusContamination in the production process can impair markings. Only high-quality marking ensures maximum legibility even if the marking quality deteriorates due to scratches or dirt. With "Veri-Genius", SIMATIC MV440 can also be used to check the marking quality of codes. In addition, verification reduces production costs, since it reduces the requirements for material quality and marking technology. The license is delivered as "Single License" on USB flash medium and can be loaded onto the device via the SIMATIC Automation License Manager (ALM) with a plug-in. The license runs on SIMATIC MV440 as of firmware version 4.0.
- Testing of marking quality according to a large number of internationally recognized test regulations, in particular ISO 29158
- Different resolutions available (640 x 480 pixels, 1024 x 768 pixels and 1600 x 1200 pixels)
- Simultaneous reading and verification in one image field
- Simple integration of verification into the automation environment via the SIMATIC MV440 in PC-based applications and other automated production lines