Control Solution for Distribution Grids
Our solutions for distribution automation ensure the cost-efficient operation and maintenance of primary equipment, increased supply safety and voltage quality, and a rapid adjustment to changes in the distribution network. New applications such as fault detection, fault location, voltage and reactive power compensation, and power quality measurements are also included.
Many topics to dealHigh supply reliability for the customer, a major requirement for electricity supply systems, is mainly determined by the distribution grids. Distribution grids are subject to significant challenges. The distribution grid operator has to deal with many variables, such as distributed power generation, fluctuating peak times, an increasing number of consumers who are also producers (prosumers), an aging infrastructure, and constantly changing political frameworks. And there is no end in sight; on the contrary, these challenges are set to increase.
Today's distribution grids typically feature a low degree of automation. Intelligent automation equipment is needed in primary and secondary distribution substations to allow for effective monitoring and control of the distribution grids.
Cost-effective measures and concepts for system development and operation, which help meet the required performance targets demanded by customers and regulators, are becoming a key factor for economic system operation.
Intelligent concepts for automation equipment integration not only comprise distribution automation for the connection of renewable energies (wind, solar, and hydro) and the improvement of overall grid resilience, but also every type of RTU-based applications e.g., railway power supply, industrial environments, and critical infrastructures such as hospitals and airports.
Economical and versatileOperators of medium- and low-voltage distribution grids seek preconfigured packages for monitoring and remote control of their secondary distribution substations or connections points for renewable energies – and not just a set of individual products from different vendors. The Distribution Automation Box provides an economical and versatile solution, combining minimized space requirements with minimum total cost of ownership.
It is possible to configure a customer-specific box out of a set of well-proven Siemens products. Requirements such IT security (BDEW whitepaper on conformity), scalability, flexible communication, space-saving design, and suitability for rough ambient conditions were taken into account when designing the Distribution Automation Box. Hence the box is therefore able to host self-healing capabilities and a set of grid applications.
With the SICAM A8000 series and the huge variety of modular components for processor and expansion modules, the Distribution Automation Box has a scalable design that can be configured for any performance requirement.
- Straightforward engineering with the integrated web parameterization tool
- Fulfills high cyber security requirements thanks to the integrated crypto chip and IPSec encryption
- High investment security thanks to conformity with international standards such as IEC 61850, IEC 60870-5-101/-103/-104
- The modular platform provides versatile application options and reduces stock
- Can be adapted to existing communication infrastructures with its multitude of interfaces and integrated GPRS module
- The integrated short-circuit indicator functionality allows use in network monitoring
SITOP UPS uninterruptible power supply with SITOP DC UPS lead-acid or lithium battery modules enables continous system operation for many hours. The extremely high degree of efficiency ensures low energy consumption and minimal heat loss in the control cabinet. The compact enclosure, which requires no space at either side, also saves space on the DIN rail. To further increase availability, the SITOP power supply unit is combined with the buffer DC UPS module. SITOP DC UPS offers special functions that facilitate universal use and flexible adaptation to the box:
- Parallel connection for performance enhancement
- Adjustable overload response
- Extra power for high inrush currents
- Remote on/off enables energy savings by means of a standby mode
Mobile wireless router for secure connection of Ethernet-based subnets and programmable controllers through 2G (GSM), 3G (UMTS), and 4G (LTE) mobile networks. It allows high transfer rates of up to 14.4 Mbps in the downlink and up to 5.76 Mbps in the uplink.
Includes antenna for 2G (GSM), 3G (UMTS), and 4G (LTE).
Smart grid ready switchgear for configuration to the Distribution Automation Box. Easy connection between switchgear and the Distribution Automation Box by standardized plugs. 8DJH switchgear can be used in smart grids as it can be easily upgraded to an intelligent secondary distribution substation by retrofitting motor operating mechanisms, low-power current and voltage transformers, and intelligent short-circuit indicators. The Distribution Automation Box takes over the control functions and it is connected to the switchgear with standardized plugs.
- Up to 17.5 kV, 25 kA, or 24 kV, 20 kA
- Busbar 630 A, feeders up to 630 A
- Factory-assembled, type-tested switchgear according to IEC 62271-200
- Fully flexible switchgear concept; panels or blocks can be added on both sides
- Smart grid ready thanks to motor operating mechanisms, low-power instrument transformers for current and voltage measuring, and intelligent short-circuit indicators