Minimize power outages, foster renewable generation and boost the efficiency for your grid
Spectrum Power systems in operation keep the lights on for hundreds of millions of people around the globe
Open and scalable for multiple needsGrid control systems from Siemens meet every demand. We offer solutions for transmission and distribution, for municipalities or multi-utilities and the industry, for energy generation, portfolio optimization, rail electrification, and market management. Service-oriented architecture (SOA) and a powerful set of applications: supports you today and scales for the uncertainties of tomorrow.
Managing the power challenge
Agility is the key to keeping any power supply system efficient, reliable, and sustainable in a world that spins ever faster.
Siemens knows that utilities are facing huge challenges. Decentralization and Digitalization are boosting and changing the energy world faster than ever. That’s why we develop grid control solutions that ensure a high level of energy reliability and the lowering of costs, fast fault detection based on smart meter information, network-wide volt/VAr optimization and blackout prevention measures. Take advantage of a modern user interaction. Get the information where you need it and when you need it and make the right decision at the right moment. Conduct your business efficiently and sustainably – today and in the future.
Spectrum Powers meets every demand
We offer solutions for transmission and distribution, for municipalities or multi-utilities and the industry, for energy generation, portfolio optimization, rail electrification, and market management. Whatever you need, Spectrum Power has the solution.
Blackouts are a real threat
Siemens has compiled a solution-oriented, integrated portfolio for transmission grid operators. It comprises products and solutions for efficient and reliable power supply with a focus on long-distance transmission, the grid integration of renewables, and strengthened grid stability.
More energy resources, more data, more intelligence
We enable you to face these challenges successfully. Siemens has entered the next era of power control systems: the Spectrum Power™ Advanced Distribution Management System (ADMS). It integrates distribution SCADA, outage management, and advanced fault and network analysis – all operated in a Common User Environment – to gain maximum benefit from smart meter information and IoT. You can benefit from a solid foundation for the management of your distribution grid today and tomorrow.
Maximize your profit
Optimize your portfolio and forecast your non-dispatchable resources. Bring them to the market and maximize your profit. Execute the market results at minimum costs.
Spectrum Power jROS is a suite of applications on one common platform. It includes various algorithms of mathematical optimization and forecasting. They are well proven and in operation on different markets in Europe and the world. A modern user-friendly UI supports easy usage and fast implementation.
The Spectrum Power jROS tool includes:
- An integrated platform for forecasting and planning of resources, generation and trading activities on electricity and fuel markets.
- Spectrum Power jROS / RO Resource Optimization for month-ahead and year-ahead optimization of resources (water, fuel) and optimal contracts (electricity, fuel), on bilateral and spot markets. For meeting the challenges of ever-increasing shares of renewable power generation and volatility of the markets it can be extended towards stochastic optimization, too.
- Spectrum Power jROS / HTC Hydro Therma Coordination for day-ahead and week-ahead scheduling of hydro-thermal (cogeneration) power generation systems.
- Spectrum Power jROS / STWPF Short Term Wind Power Flow for day-ahead and week-ahead forecasting of wind power production.
- Spectrum Power jROS / STLF Short Term Load Forecast for day-ahead and week-ahead forecasting of non-dispatchable loads and renewable generation resources.
Spectrum Power jROS can be implemented as a component of the Spectrum Power control system. This allows you to execute generation schedules through its SCADA and Automatic Generation Control (AGC) modules.
Save costs with one system for all commodities
Municipalities and multi-utilities have to manage an increasing number of uncertainties due to energy market liberalization and increasing pressure towards sustainability. Your value orientation as a company has to be aligned with environmental and climate protection. At the same time, you are under more pressure than ever to provide reliable and safe power, gas, heating, cooling, and water supply.
Spectrum Power supports multiple commodities with the most advanced planning and analysis tools, as well as the seamless integration of renewable energy. It offers numerous functions for all supply areas.
- Reliable forecast plus after-the-fact applications for electricity, gas, water, and district heating
- Advanced applications, such as leakage detection and reservoir management
- Water supply management to minimize operating costs and secure high quality
- Load management of gas for optimal use of purchases, considering dispatchable reserves, loads, and own generation while securing uninterrupted supply
- Multi-utility merging of existing control centers into one unified solution for multiple commodities
- Higher planning reliability due to better predictability of the network, demand, and supply
- Utilities empowered to efficiently deal with mergers and third-party services, as well as regulation requirements
- Increased stability and quality of supply while minimizing operational and contractual costs
Power rail more efficiently
Whether mass transit or mainline, transport services worldwide have to optimize their business while at the same time face the challenge of ensuring smooth, reliable operation of traction power supply and station facilities. Spectrum Power™ ensures smooth, reliable and economic operation of your traction power supply.
The Spectrum Power SCADA suite provides a reliable energy supply at highest security, safety and quality standards. A comprehensive set of applications helps you to continuously strengthen the power system against contingencies:
- provides for increased stability and quality of energy supply and maximum security, safety, and quality standards
- includes intelligent interlocking and switching procedure management with process element disposal locking
- features network model & state estimator, closed-loop optimization of load distribution and reactive power flow, and helps rail operators prepare their systems to withstand contingencies
- assures minimized operational and contractual costs
Secure energy supply for maximum production output
- ensures a secure power supply for airports, industrial estates, and industries such as mining, pulp & paper, oil & gas, chemicals and steel, guaranteeing maximum production output
- features standardized, robust, secure, easy-to- use technology
- includes smart data engineering for reduced TCO
- allows existing energy contracts to be optimally exploited through switchable load and power generation
- includes standard interfaces such as OPC for complete access to the world of industrial automation
Find the right balance
Operating an energy market means balancing the complex interests of the public, the market participants, and the market operator:
- Public interests include reliability of the electric energy supply and the macroeconomic demand for the lowest market-clearing price.
- Market participants need to optimize investments, increase operational efficiency, and have timely access to highly accurate information.
- Market operators need to be highly efficient in running complex operations, flexible in adjusting market rules, and proficient in coordinating grid security while providing highly available market operations.
With Spectrum Power Energy Market Management (EMM), Siemens helps market operators to find the right balance. The system incorporates the latest market clearing technology in a set of modular, high-performance components and engines.
At the core of EMM is the Market Clearing Engine, based on the Security Constrained Unit Commitment software. Built-in flexibility enables the use of the same market-clearing engine in multiple structures such as a day-ahead or a real-time market. Both the operator and participants interact through the Market Participant Interface, a secure Web portal.
The components of Spectrum Power™ EMM are best deployed as an integrated solution; however, each can be individually applied to an existing market management system to preserve investments already made in your systems.
- Matches the needs of operators
- A highly modular solution
- Lower market prices
- Optimized business processes
- Increased grid reliability for LMP-based centralized markets
Enhance your grid operation with valuable information
Let the big data work for you
Enhance your grid operation with valuable information from smart grid applications and IoT. We bring both worlds together with the Siemens integrated platform approach of Spectrum Power and EnergyIP.
The benefits for you are compelling, e.g. Take advantage from valuable information from smart meters for faster fault identification and location. Your outage times will be reduced and your customers are happy.
You need more insight into your low voltage grid? You can get it. The Siemens EnergyIP grid application platform provides various analytics applications such as Load Forecasting, which excels in providing granular low-voltage distribution level forecasts based on the AMI data of millions of service points with full consideration of the grid hierarchy.
Offer a comprehensive set of powerful applications based on an energy industry data model which delivers full support of domain-specific processes and complex use cases viable far into the future. EnergyIP applications can process data from millions of distributed grid assets and smart devices almost in real time, powering new approaches for grid optimization, distributed energy resource management, asset management, real customer interaction and energy market participation. With EnergyIP you can benefit from easy and secure IoT connectivity for your grid assets via standard communication protocol interfaces. Moreover you can gain additional high value from the wealth of data accumulated in the Internet of Things with various state-of-the-art Analytics applications.
EnergyIP Applications – Powered by MindSphere
Do you want to reduce capital expenditures (CAPEX) and optimize operating expenses (OPEX)? Do you need rapid time-to-market? That’s why EnergyIP applications are also available as Software as a Service – powered by MindSphere, Siemens’ own open, cloud-based IoT operating system. Attractive pay-per-use models, rapid deployment combined with reduced risk, and improved security delivers outstanding business value.
Digitalization is changing our world - Modern societies depend on a set of critical infrastructures, and none is more critical than energy supply, which keeps all other elements running. Because cyber attacks have become more prevalent due to digitalization, cyber security training is becoming an essential part of securing and protecting assets. Locked Shields is the world’s largest and most complex international technical cyberdefense exercise. The cyberdefense drill is annually set up and organized by the NATO Cooperative Cyber Defence Centre of Excellence (NATO CCDCOE). Watch the interview with Merle Maigre, Director NATA CCDCOE.
As a leading company in cyber security, we Siemens target on continuously improving both the safety of our products and the quality of our consulting services which we offer to make our customers’ infrastructures even safer. First hand experience from the Locked Shields exercise gives us better insight on how to improve on all levels of cyber security. We at Siemens Digital Grid participated successfully in this strategy game, in which the massive cyber attack on a power grid is simulated. Siemens was part of the exercise with Spectrum Power, the software platform for efficient and secure power grid operations, and the Remote Terminal Units SICAM A8000 commonly used in substations.
Practicing protection with 4,000 virtualized systems and more than 2,500 attacks. More than 1,000 experts from nearly 30 nations were involved in Locked Shields 2018, this year’ edition of the largest and most complex international live-fire cyberdefense exercise in the world.
How you can ensure the best possible protection of your power supply infrastructure?