Advanced Transmission Management with Spectrum Power – Strengthen stability in your transmission grid
Blackouts with Spectrum Power
Constantly monitoring the stability of your grid and providing mitigation measures
Supporting Egypt’s vision to digitalize the energy sector and transform Egypt into an international energy hub
In December 2020 the Egyptian Electricity Transmission Company awarded the consortium of Siemens and Hassan Allam a contract to build the New National Energy Control Center in the New Administrative Capital of Egypt.
Egypt’s new power grid control center will deploy advanced software and equipment to monitor, manage and control extra-high voltage (220 kV and 500 kV) transmission networks and power generation stations across the country.
Siemens technology – the key to protecting your investment
- Decades of global domain know-how
- Experience gained from over 1,300 Spectrum Power control centers in operation
The operation of power transmission systems has never been more complex and demanding. Many new stakeholders, new sources of energy, fluctuating demand, and new regulations have to be taken into account, and the grids must be able to react to growing volatility. Increasing the use of digitally driven solutions helps ensure stable grid operation under these new conditions.
Siemens helps you ensure an efficient and reliable power supply with a focus on long-distance transmission, seamless integration of renewables, and strengthened grid stability.
With Spectrum Power you can take advantage of
- Ready-to-implement measures to prevent or remedy dangerous situations
- Reliable supply, cost-efficient use of generation resources and reduced transmission losses
- Modeling the grid as part of a wider interconnected transmission grid and more reliable transmission forecast functionality
- Reduced risk of blackouts with integrated Wide Area Monitoring (SIGUARD® PDP) and Dynamic Stability Analysis (SIGUARD® DSA). These solutions provide current and anticipatory monitoring of power system stability and support in evaluating preventive measures.
Moreover, in response to the increased use of wind energy, the Spectrum Power Renewable Energy Source Forecast (RESF) package enables power generation forecasts and provides valuable input for managing load flow congestion.
High situational awareness with the innovative Spectrum Power HUD (heads-up display)
- Information where you need it and when you need it
- Modern user interaction, with maximum focus on usability and functionality
Advanced operator guidance in 2D/3D
Learn more about how Spectrum Power helps you master the challenges of changing energy systems
Automatic analysis and notification along with operator study capability
offer outstanding transparency for operators
- Switching security check
- Look-ahead grid forecast
- Margins to operating limits
- Impact of renewable generation uncertainty
- Real-time application alarms
- Real-time application status
- Real-time application solution statistics
Spectrum Power responds to insecure conditions and prepares plans for potential problems
Operator Quick Study
Rescheduling maintenance and deenergizing equipment can make your life difficult. But we can help here. Analytical tools like our Operator Quick Study can support you in your day-to-day work. It takes just one click in your real-time single-line diagram to set up the Quick Study Mode and automatically put you in a study case from the latest real-time model.
Both Transmission Network Analysis applications and SCADA functions are available in the Quick Study. This makes it easy for you to quickly decide whether to proceed with the requested system changes or not. And it helps you develop secure plans for next-day operation, including mitigation plans for potential post-contingency limit violations.
Analyze and optimize – Improve system performance and lower costs
Analyze system performance and provide recommendations
- Provide possible control changes to optimally meet system objectives
- Analyze the impact of transmission system changes such as generation patterns, load, and topology
- Evaluate network model changes prior to model deployment
- Study past events
- Tune the network model and applications for improved results
Prevent a blackout before it happens
Power system stability is becoming increasingly important for today’s system operation: Stability limits are often reached far earlier than thermal or rated limits. The Voltage Stability Analysis (VSA) application provides an online tool to identify voltage stability problems. VSA can be used in conjunction with static voltage or thermal security analysis to provide a more complete picture of system security by determining how close the system is to voltage collapse.
Dynamic Stability Assessment (DSA) is fully automated and integrated in Spectrum Power
An even more comprehensive stability analysis extending to transient stability and small signal stability is enabled by the integration of SIGUARD® DSA – an automatic and intelligent real-time dynamic security assessment tool for the calculation of the stability margin and the validation of remedial action. This contingency study runs in automatic cycles and is always based on the most recent snapshot from the State Estimator application.
Wide Area Monitoring – Improves SCADA observability based on PMUs
Connecting Spectrum Power with SIGUARD® PDP – the fast grid monitoring solution using synchrophasors – provides more measurements, dynamic phenomena alarms and improved frequency measurements for Automatic Generation Control.
The operator immediately receives warnings when angle separation is exceeded and can react in time to avoid major disturbances.
Safe integration of increasing renewable generation
Due to their immanent dynamics, power systems operating with large-scale renewable power generation cannot be run reliably based on operator experience alone. In such cases, the transmission grid operator needs a sophisticated application package directly in the control room for managing these challenges during everyday operation.
Renewable generation forecasts change as rapidly as the weather changes and so do power flows, grid loadings and potential violations of operational limits. The capability to look forward into the near term operational timeframe for potential problems becomes crucially important. The Transmission Analysis Forecast feature of Spectrum Power enables transmission systems to be reliably assessed by executing a Power Flow and Contingency Analysis automatically at multiple time intervals in the near-term operation time horizon.
With fully integrated, accurate multi-interval time series congestion forecasts, such as
- Day-Ahead Congestion Forecast (DACF),
- Two-Day-Ahead Congestion Forecast (D2CF)
- Intra-Day Congestion Forecast (IDCF)
you’ll have real-time transparency for anticipated risks. This enables you to take the right measures in time to avoid blackouts.
Up to 24 intervals can be utilized with interval step sizes of 15 minutes or one hour. Potential transmission system limit violations are reported for each time period.
Renewable generation tends to be located far away from the system load centers, leading to unusually high transmission line loadings with the potential consequence of severe threats to system stability. Extending traditional power system analyses to transient stability simulations is therefore a mandatory step: SIGUARD® DSA (Dynamic Security Assessment) performs time domain simulations for given sets of contingencies in real-time, offers a very simple and striking visualization of the results, and provides recommendations for operators.
Keep an eye on generation
Stable system frequency is essential for reliable power system operation; keeping power interchanges with neighbors at scheduled values contributes to the economy of power supply.
Both tasks remain core tasks of the transmission system operator (TSO) and are addressed by Automatic Generation Control (AGC). Power systems are becoming increasingly integrated, requiring AGC responses to be well coordinated with neighboring TSOs and meet agreed quality criteria.
Available primary, secondary, and tertiary reserve levels must meet specified requirements for ensuring adequate reliability of supply – an increasingly challenging task due to the growing share of renewable generation. And last but not least, all these functions have to be provided at minimum cost.
Spectrum Power is your constant eye on generation. It features a host of functions to perfectly meet your needs for generation control:
- Load Frequency Control with field-proven control algorithms yielding smooth system trajectories whenever possible and aggressive responses when need arises
- Automatic reserve activation based on Merit Order Lists (price bids in liberalized energy markets) or based on generation cost curves (traditional integrated utility)
- Reserve Monitor for online monitoring of available reserve and alarming of insufficiencies
- Production Cost Monitor for online comparison of actual generation cost against optimal cost returned by Target Economic Dispatch with alarming in case of excessive deviations
- Provision of reports documenting the adequacy of system control with agreed quality criteria
- Stable system frequency and power system interchange as scheduled
- Continuous monitoring of the quality of control
- Fine-tuning of system reserves maintaining required supply reliability while minimizing system operation costs and standby/provision costs
- Real-time feedback on whether the system is operating close enough to economic optimum
Increase your transmission reliability
The growing volume of cross-border energy flows increases the need for closer cooperation among TSOs and the need for more frequent exchanges of larger volumes of data. In this context, ENTSO-E has developed the Common Grid Model Exchange Specification (CGMES) as an IEC technical specification based on the IEC Common Information Model (CIM) family of standards.
- Definition of the number of data sets to be exported (starting point & time interval length), reference grid status (e.g. State Estimator solution) and forecast data sources (conventional generation, renewable input, system interchange, load, outage planning, etc.)
- Load flow calculation, plausibility check and (automated) export (e.g. in CGMES format)
- Import and automatic merging of real-time/forecast datasets from neighboring TSO (e.g. in CGMES format) for single or multiple time instances
- Embedded calculation of network equivalents representing one’s own grid (export) or representing distant or neighboring grids (import)
- Conformity with ENTSO-E CGMES v2.4.15
- Integrated provision/processing of grid datasets in the course of ENTSO-E's DACF, IDCF, and D2CF processes
- Provides basis for common grid analysis studies using shared data on a pan-European level, on a regional level, or between TSOs and DSOs – all with the goal of improving operational grid security
* ENTSO-E, the European Network of Transmission System Operators
Control Center of the future
Research and scientific partners in Germany cooperated in the DynaGridCenter research project to develop advanced assistant systems for automated grid control and outage prevention.
As the core of the project, a dynamic grid control center, based on Siemens Spectrum Power, was installed at the Technical University of Ilmenau. Newly developed dynamic applications are integrated as assistant systems for functions like “Dynamic Security Assessment,” “Adaptive Protection Settings” and “PMU Data Streaming Analytics.”