The Importance of Cyber Security in Energy Automation Products
Secure products in energy automation are the basis for a secure system for energy automation. The requirements for the IT security functions of the products depend on various factors. This includes the intended function of the products (protection, control, operation and monitoring) and the spatial deployment of the products. The security functions in modern energy automation products follow the general protection goals of IT security: Availability, integrity and confidentiality.
Main features of our products:
- Secured communication with TLS / IPSec and client-server authentication
- Operational security with firmware integrity checks and ProductCERT for vulnerability handling
- Centralized account management and role-based access control
- Centralized security event logging and installed base monitoring
- Future readiness with PKI support and modularity of device platforms
In addition, we periodically validate and publish the compatibility status of the latest OS security patches and antivirus patterns to make sure that they don’t degrade the availability of power automation functions.
Siemens offers sophisticated products, systems and solutions for the security of energy automation infrastructure.
They meet the highest security requirements from the outset - including the BDEW Whitepaper (Bundesverband der Energie- und Wasserwirtschaft) and NERC CIP (North American Electric Reliability Corporation, Critical Infrastructure Protection) and certification according to the industrial security standard IEC 62443.