The SIPROTEC 6MD86 bay controller is a universal control and automation device with a protection function. It is designed for use in all voltage levels from distribution to transmission.
Features & functionsAs a part of the SIPROTEC 5 family, it allows the use of a large number of protection functions from the SIPROTEC library. Adapt the hardware and the IO quantity structure exactly to your requirements and enable future-oriented solutions for protection, control, automation, monitoring and PQ basic.
Main function: Inputs and outputs
Inputs and outputs:
- 7 predefined standard variants with 8 current transformers,
8 voltage transformers,
11 to 75 binary inputs,
9 to 41 binary Outputs
- Flexibly adjustable and expandable I/O quantity structure within the scope of the SIPROTEC 5 modular system. For great requirements placed on the quantity structure, the device can be extended in the second row. For example, this permits an additional 240 binary inputs (and more) to be used with the IO230 (see chapter "Hardware")
- 1/3 × 19" to 2/1 × 19"
DIGSI 5 permits all functions to be configured and combined as required.
- Integrated bay controller with versatile protection function from medium to extra-high voltage
- Control of switching devices
- Point-on-wave switching
- Synchrocheck, switchgear interlocking protection and switchrelated protection functions, such as circuit-breaker failure protection and automatic reclosing
- Integrated electrical Ethernet RJ45 for DIGSI 5 and IEC 61850 (reporting and GOOSE)
- Up to 4 pluggable communication modules, usable for different and redundant protocols (IEC 61850-8-1, IEC 61850-9-2 Client, IEC 60870-5-103, IEC 60870-5-104, Modbus TCP, DNP3 serial and TCP, PROFINET IO, PROFINET IO S2 redundancy)
- Virtual network sharing (IEEE 802.1Q - VLAN)
- Redundancy protocols PRP and HSR
- Extensive cybersecurity functionality, such as role-based access control (RBAC), protocolling security-related events, signed firmware or authenticated network access IEEE 802.1X
- Simple, quick and secure access to the device data via a standard Web browser to display all information and diagnostic data, as well as vector diagrams, single-line and device display pages
- Arc protection
- Graphical logic editor to create powerful automation functions in the device
- Optional overcurrent protection with 3-pole tripping
- Also used in switchgear with breaker-and-a-half configuration
- Overcurrent protection also configurable as emergency function
- Secure serial protection data communication, also over great distances and all available physical media (fiber-optic cable, 2-wire connections and communication Networks)
- PQ-Basic: voltage unbalance; voltage changes: overvoltage, dip, interruption; TDD, THD and Harmonics
- Capturing operational measured variables and protec-tion function measured values to evaluate the plant state, to support commissioning, and to analyze faults
- Phasor Measurement Unit (PMU) synchrophasor measured values and IEEE C37.118 protocol integrated
- Powerful fault recording (buffer for a max. record time of 80 s at 8 kHz or 320 s at 2 kHz)
- Point-on-Wave Switching (PoW)
- Auxiliary functions for simple tests and commissioning
- Flexibly adjustable I/O quantity structure within the scope of the SIPROTEC 5 modular system
The SIPROTEC 6MD86 bay controller is a universal control and automation device with a protection function based on the SIPROTEC 5 system.
The standard variants of the SIPROTEC 6MD86 are delivered with instrument transformers. Furthermore, protection-class current transformers are also possible in SIPROTEC 6MD86 so that protection functions can be used.
Due to its high flexibility, it is suitable as selective protection equipment for overhead lines and cables with single-ended and multi-ended infeeds when protection communication is used. The device supports all SIPROTEC 5 system properties.
It enables future-oriented system solutions as well as the acquisition and recording of power quality data in the medium-voltage and subordinate Low voltage network.
Application templates are available in DIGSI for standard applications. They comprise all basic configurations and default settings.
The following application templates are available:
Standard double busbar
- Double busbar feeder with switchgear interlocking system
- Synchrocheck for circuit breaker
- Switching sequence for automatic busbar transfer preconfigured (tripped by function key)
1.5 circuit-breaker type 1
- Control of a breaker-and-a-half diameter (3 circuit-breakers,14 disconnectors)
- Synchrocheck for the three circuit-breakers with dynamic measuring point changeover
1.5 circuit-breaker type 2
- Control of a part of breaker-and-a-half diameter
- Supports concepts with several bay controller per bay
- Circuit-breaker failure protection and automatic reclosing
- Safe and reliable automation and control of your systems
- Purposeful and easy handling of devices and software thanks to a user-friendly design
- Cybersecurity in accordance with NERC CIP and BDEW Whitepaper requirements
- Highest availability even under extreme environmental conditions by “conformal coating“ of printed circuit board assembly