Automation and remote terminal units - SICAM A8000
Supports a high number of data points
Features & functionsThe SICAM A8000 series is a modular device range for telecontrol and automation applications in all areas of energy supply. This device series was developed to fulfill the requirements of a broad field of applications. The most important features are: Suitable for rough ambient conditions thanks to mechanically stable modules and an extended temperature range from -40 to +70 °C. High voltage strength up to 5kV (IEC 60255) for use directly in substations. Fulfills tomorrow’s cyber security requirements with BDEW White Paper conformity, integrated crypto chip and IPSec encryption. Integrated communications interfaces incl. GPRS “on board”. Automation functions (IEC 61131-3), e.g. for controlling a regulated distribution transformer or for load control. Space-saving design with a module width of 30mm (without display for CP) Scalable by combining individual I/O modules. Long product life cycle and high investment security by using standards as IEC 61850.
Precisely tailored to the application. Individual tasks and application scenarios require modules that can be freely combined in nearly any way. Thanks to the different performance levels of the processor modules and the universal expansion modules, the SICAM A8000 series is nearly continuously scalable and can be expanded at any time.
Example 1: High performance and many interfaces for complex tasks
- Automation tasks in power distribution and transmission, micro-grids
- Control functions in hydroelectric power stations, including the turbines themselves
- Control and communication in railway power supply
- As a communication gateway for various networks and protocols
Example 2: Everything in view with the compact solution on site
- For use in distribution automation
- Optimized for use in MV switchgear
- Load-flow control available
Example 3: Space-saving design with no display and a slim CP module
- Grid connection for solar and wind farms
- Control and monitoring of electricity and gas distribution stations
- Simple gateway function
Ensuring power quality in a phase of energy transition
Increasing power feed-in from renewable resources poses new challenges for municipalities and distribution system operators
The stable supply of electric power is any grid operator’s top priority. To avoid fluctuations in power quality and prevent disturbances, grid monitoring, control, and automation systems need to be adapted and optimized across all voltage levels.
Maintaining control of distributed power producers
Ensuring grid stability is becoming increasingly complex
The vast number of small distributed power producers calls for new strategies to ensure consistent power quality. Identifying, locating, and eliminating disturbances and faults as well as the flexible, quick balancing of power production and load consumption require integrated hardware and software solutions that work smoothly together.
Intelligent technologies for stable grids
Automation solutions and remote control technology enhance the reliability of distribution grids
Despite every effort, grid disturbances and faults can never be entirely eliminated. This is why control room personnel must be enabled to work quickly and effectively to resolve problems in a targeted manner. Comprehensive automation and remote-control solutions optimize these capabilities.
More data, increased transparency
Modern electrical grid components deliver, process, and analyze data
One consequence of digitalizing power grids is the steadily growing volume of captured data. These vast quantities of data harbor valuable information that describes the state of the grid, enables advanced computational analysis of changes, and can improve the performance and extend the service life of assets. The hardware and software from Siemens needed for this fulfills all the requirements.
Efficient grid expansion
A combination of robust technology and digital innovations leads to increased efficiency
Maintaining or even increasing grid performance is becoming ever more challenging. With growing efforts, expenses grow as well. Innovative technologies and smart data usage can help municipalities and DSOs to master these challenges and to increase their competitiveness.
Keeping your grids up and running
Using sophisticated tools and solutions for fast grid restoration
Unplanned outages cannot always be avoided. Flexible solutions for local and remote monitoring enable the fast and efficient restoration of cable grids and overhead lines.
Optimizing business operations
Comprehensive and efficient ways for municipalities and DSOs to get the most out of their operating costs.
The growing demand for power from industries and households can be fulfilled simply. With modern technologies and innovative solutions such as optimized voltage and capacity management, self-healing grids, and by avoiding losses of any kind.
SICAM Microgrid Controller
Maximum security in operating microgrids
Microgrids are a reliable alternative when autonomous power supply is needed, such as on islands, or when optimizations are required for higher level grids or supply costs. With grid-connected operation, microgrids enable energy to be reliably provided from renewable sources, at both high-peak and low-peak times. They can also influence reactive power and help save money by regulating the maximum power demand or infeed. Microgrids offer high reliability and improved energy quality. And they have a further advantage: Microgrids can operate independently of the higher-level grid.
- Platform modularity for versatile application options and reduced inventory.
- Extended temperature range of -40°C to +70°C for rough ambient conditions.
- Highest EMC stability up to 5 kV (IEC 60255).for direct use in substations.
- Integrated short-circuit indicator functionality.for use in cable network monitoring.
- Use of international standards such as IEC 61850 for high investment security.
- Integrated crypto chip and IPSec encryption to fulfill the high cyber security requirements.
- Multitude of interfaces and integrated GPRS module for simple adaptation to existing communication infrastructures.
- Integrated web parameterization tool for simple engineering.
- Plug-and-Play functionality of the modules for time and cost savings.
The SICAM A8000 series supports a smart 3-stage approach for grid optimization:
- Monitoring: The first stage focuses on the monitoring of stations to enable rapid fault localization and high availability.
- Telecontrol: The second stage involves switchgear telecontrol in addition to monitoring, thus minimizing downtime. Thanks to this application, fault isolation and power supply restoration of de-energized network sections are no longer difficult tasks for power supply utilities.
- Load flow control: In the third stage, the effects of decentralized power feed-ins are managed via automation. Network losses can be significantly reduced this way.