Arc fault detection device (AFDD) – preventive, proven and standard-compliant
in Europe per year
With the innovative 5SV6 arc fault detection device (AFDD), Siemens is the first manufacturer in the IEC market to present the third generation of fire-prevention products. The 5SV6 AFDD is the first device with integrated miniature circuit breaker (MCB) in just one modular width (instead of the previous 2 MW). Additionally, it is the smallest of its kind worldwide.
Due to its narrow design, the 5SV6 AFDD allows for a particularly space-saving installation. For new electrical installations, this saves fifty percent space compared to the installation of two separate devices.
The world’s smallest AFDD
The new arc fault detection device is super compact making it suitable for both installing in new buildings and retrofitting into existing. At any time, a standard-compliant expansion of the electrical installation to protect against electric fires is possible – easily and without the need for additional space.
- First arc fault detection device in the IEC market (2012)
- First AFDD with integrated MCB in just one modular width
- 50% space savings during installation
- Siemens-patented SIARC detection technology
- Consistent product portfolio with a high level of variance (300 possible combinations)
About one-third of all fires caused by electricity are attributed to hazardous arcing faults. Particular mention is to be made to serial arcing faults. Residual current protective devices (RCDs) and miniature circuit breakers (MCBs) are not designed to detect and safely disconnect serial arcing faults and do not offer adequate protection in such cases: for example damaged wire insulations, crushed or broken cables, bent connectors, loose contacts, or even defective electrical devices. The resulting electrical arcing faults can cause cable insulation to ignite, leading to a cable or even building fire.
Siemens closed this safety gap in the IEC market with its AFDDs (arc fault detection devices). As a supplement to MCBs and RCDs, these protection devices address all types of arcing faults including serial ones. The AFDDs complete the comprehensive SENTRON portfolio by providing a comprehensive all-round protection of electrical installations. They enable the early prevention of various fire hazards, from the electrical line right through to the end device, protecting human lives, buildings, and assets.
Patented detection technology
The arc fault detection devices are based on the Siemens patented SIARC detection technology.
- This detection methodology – developed by Siemens for detecting parallel and serial arcing faults – is designed to continuously measure the high-frequency noise of voltage and current for their intensity and duration and the gaps between them.
- Integrated filters with intelligent software analyze the signals. If anything unusual is detected, the AFDD disconnects the circuit within fractions of a second.
- SIARC reliably distinguishes harmless causes of faults such as those generated by drills or vacuum cleaners from dangerous arcs.
The result: intelligent fire prevention and thus optimal and standard-compliant comprehensive protection of people and plants.
Quick and easy installation
The arc fault detection devices are part of the integrated Sentron portfolio from Siemens. The product series encompasses the 5SM6 AFD unit in two widths for mounting on miniature circuit breakers (MCBs) or residual current operated circuit breakers, as well as the new 5SV6 combined version.
Arc fault detection device (AFDD) – your benefits
Order your AFDDs
Better to play it safe!
With AFDDs, you greatly increase the level of protection for people, investments and systems. You benefit from a reliable technology that, since coming to market, has already been proven in numerous areas of application, including schools, churches, laboratories, and infrastructure systems.