Energy efficiency as a key enablerThe pandemic and its resulting economic pressures are driving the need to make buildings smart and more energy efficient. This insight series looks at how five sectors across the globe are coping with the 'new normal': offices, hospitals, manufacturing, public buildings and education.
Key points from the study
- Buildings and the way they are used may be permanently changed. Smart buildings add value by delivering agility and flexibility.
- Economic, pandemic, regulatory and environmental drivers are all accelerating smart building conversion.
- Reducing a building's energy consumption is the starting point for smart buildings transformation, as savings can be used towards conversion.
- Smart financing plays a major role in enabling conversion without the need to source and deploy large amounts of capital.
- The research estimates the cost for official buildings energy conversion targets to 2040 across five sectors and the size of the investment challenge.