eHighway – Electrification of road freight transport
Road freight transport powered by electricity: Siemens’ eHighway system combines the efficiency of electrified railroads with the flexibility of trucks into an innovative freight traffic solution that is efficient, economical, and environmentally friendly.
Reduce truck operating costs and emissionsImplementing eHighway on the core highways creates a backbone solution for energy efficient, low cost, zero emission trucking that is complementary with other drive trains, fuels and transportation technology trends (e.g. automated or high-capacity vehicles). The eHighway system is applicable for various use cases.
Heavily-used truck routes, for example from ports to freight and distribution centers, are often a burden on the environment. In these situations, the eHighway system produces a significant reduction in pollutant and CO2 emissions. At the same time, the economic benefits of the system are felt particularly quickly on these high-use routes.
- Solution for high frequency shuttle transport over short and medium distances (< 50 km), i.e. in ports or industrial areas
- Lower fuel consumption and longer lifetime
- Reduction of air and noise pollution
Electrified freight transport in mines
The eHighway is an ideal way to connect pits and mines with warehouses, transshipment points or processing plants. The economic benefits of the eHighway system can be easily calculated on the basis of transport volumes. At the same time, the eHighway system significantly reduces environmental pollution and dependence on fossil fuels.
- Connection of pits and mines to storage or transit locations
- Minimization of harmful emissions
- Sustainable, clean and economical mine operation
Electrified long-haul traffic
The eHighway system is based on a safe and proven infrastructure to provide a continuous energy supply to heavy commercial vehicles. It can be integrated and operated within the existing road infrastructure without significant effort and combines the efficiency of electrified railroads with the flexibility of trucks, halving energy consumption while maintaining full mobility. The eHighway system enables trucks to use renewable energy and can contribute significantly to reducing CO2 emissions. Both the ecological and economic advantages of the eHighway system grow with increased use of the route.
- Economical and sustainable alternative for road freight transport
- Significant reduction of CO2 emissions
- Substantial cost savings for freight carriers
How eHighway works
eHighway. Benefits and highlights:
- Innovative freight traffic solution
- Combines efficiency of electified railroads with flexibility of trucks
- Economical and environmentally friendly
- Applicable for various use cases: Shuttle transport, Electrified freight transport in mines, Electrified long-haul traffic
- Consists of three core elements: the energy supply, the pantograph, and hybrid drive technology