TIA Portal Options
Functional enhancements for the Engineering Framework
The TIA Portal (Totally Integrated Automation) Engineering Framework shortens the time to market for machine manufacturers and increases the productivity of end users. Starting with Version 14 Siemens has enriched the engineering framework with a wide range of new functionalities and options for the digital enterprise and the requirements of Industrie 4.0.
SPS 2021 – There for you
Our virtual event on the occasion of SPS 2021 is over – but not your opportunity to explore our virtual 3D showroom, watch recordings of the event and download extensive information material.
SIVARC - SIMATIC Visualization Architect
SIMATIC Visualization Architect allows the automatic generation and creation of the visualization based on the program code of the controller and corresponding visualization objects as part of the comprehensive library concepts.
SiVArc perfectly matches the requirements of system integrators and machine builders who want to conveniently, quickly and flexibly create an HMI solution automatically on TIA Portal.
It generates about 150 000 objects within less than 10 minutes.
Plant-wide standardization of user interfaces while significantly reducing engineering costs
Reduction of the commissioning times by the early detection and avoidance of faults
Adaptation at the touch of a button to the visualizations on the basis of changes/adaptations in the control program
Area of application
Support of controllers: S7-1200, S7-1500, ET 200SP and S7-1500 Software PLC
Supported HMI-systems: Basic Panels, Comfort Panels and Mobile Panels 2nd Generation, as well as the PC-based Runtime Systems WinCC Runtime Advanced and WinCC Runtime Professional.
The engineering software can be installed on as many computers as you like.The number of licenses determines the number of computers the software can be used on at one time. (Floating License)
You can download a trial version at Industry Online Support. Due to export restrictions of the software this offer is limited to registered customers
SIMATIC ProDiag - Machine and plant diagnostics for increased availability
SIMATIC ProDiag is the fully-integrated TIA solution for machine and plant diagnostics. It saves the need for programming diagnostics in the CPU during the engineering phase and provides support for troubleshooting on the HMI. ProDiag makes it possible to monitor a machine or plant and to intervene in the event of a fault.
The monitoring messages which can be generated for the various faults provide specific information on the monitoring mode, location and cause of the fault. Information on troubleshooting can be provided in addition. Plant operators can then not only recognize faults, they can also identify any potential danger in advance and take appropriate countermeasures.
- Automatic code generation in the CPU
- Data consistency guaranteed
- Message texts are derived automatically from the information existing in the project
- Simple visualization on the HMI by means of prepared controls
- Non-interactive, i.e. the monitoring operations are defined independently of the user program
Area of application
For all S7-1500 CPU and ET 200SP CPUs with FW V2.0 or higher
For standard, failsafe and know-how-protected blocks
- Supported HMI-systems: Comfort Panels and Mobile Panels 2nd Generation, as well as the PC-based Runtime Systems WinCC Runtime Advanced and WinCC Runtime Professional.
Central, cycle-exact time stamping of the fault messages
Automatic generation of the monitoring logic and message calls
Automatic updating of the SIMATIC HMI when changing the message configuration for 3 languages
HMI systems do not have to exit runtime mode in the event of changes, in other words, automatic update of operator stations
Directly available in the language editors LAD, FBD, SCL and STL
Monitoring can be parameterized at a later date on F blocks and know-how-protected blocks
Central definition of message structure for the project
Support for different monitoring types, including lock monitoring and position monitoring.
Independent of language editors / program code
The Runtime license for controllers comprises 250 or an unlimited number of supervisions related to one CPU.
The software runs on S7-1500/ET 200SP CPUs from FW 2.0 independently from the TIA Portal version
The controls for the visualization of the alarms are licensed according to the HMI runtime platform
SIMATIC Energy Suite - Intelligent energy monitoring for machinery and plants
Operators of industrial plants must manage their energy consumption efficiently to maintain their competitiveness. Manufacturers of machinery and plants need to demonstrate the energy efficiency of their solutions in detail. Both are made possible by the use of an energy management solution integrated into the automation system: the S7 Energy Efficiency Monitor and SIMATIC Energy Suite. You cannot take targeted measures to save energy and subsequently reduce costs in your production until you know how much energy is being consumed as well as where and when it is consumed.
TIA Portal Test Suite
To ensure a consistently high program quality, TIA Portal Test Suite Advanced offers the user the following options:
- Styleguide Checker:
To ensure a consistent programming style, rule sets with programming guidelines can be both defined in the TIA Portal project and checked for compliance.
- Application Test
To check the correct processing of individual code blocks or entire S7-1500 applications, test cases with functional tests can be created in a TIA Portal project and executed and validated with the help of SIMATIC S7-PLCSIM Advanced V3.0.
Scope of functions
- The following rules can be used to create programming guidelines for PLC variables, blocks, block interface and UDTs
- Name Length
- Name Contains
- Block/Tag Properties (check whether, for example, a block comment exists)
- Within a TIA project, the user can start the compliance check
- The results of the check are displayed in TIA Portal. Using the GoTo function, the job with the rule violation is opened
- Easy definition of programming guidelines in TIA Portal
- Quickly track and resolve programming policy violations
- Ensuring a uniform program code
Scope of functions
- Textual editor for creating test cases of an S7 application
- In each test case, local aliases for PLC variables can optionally be defined and several test steps can be created to check the application. A single test step consists of
- Value assignment for one or more global PLC variables (DB/PLC variable)
- RUN statement: Number of CPU cycles/runtime
- Asset: After the time has expired, the actual value of a variable is compared with a defined value
- The following steps are automatically performed by the user after the test start
- Creating a PLCSIM Adv. instance
- Download the CPU selected in the project to the PLCSIM Adv.
- TTest execution and subsequent deletion of the PLCSIM instance
- Output of test results in TIA Portal
- Support of test-driven development for S7 programs
- Only tested code is loaded onto a real machine
- Continuous regression tests guarantee permanently reliable code quality
- The software can be installed on several computers. The number of existing licenses determines the number of computers on which the software can be used simultaneously (floating license).
- The TIA Portal Test Suite Advanced V16 requires STEP 7 Professional V16 including Update 1. To run application tests, the SIMATIC S7-PLCSIM Advanced V3.0 software including Update 1 must also be installed. Supported operating systems and necessary hardware requirements can be viewed at STEP 7 Professional V16.
- No SIMATIC S7-PLCSIM Advanced is required for the exclusive execution of application tests. However, if manual or automatic function tests are to be performed via the SIMATIC S7-PLCSIM Advanced API, an additional license for SIMATIC S7-PLCSIM Advanced is required.
- The application tests created with the Test Suite can only be executed in conjunction with SIMATIC S7-PLCSIM Advanced V3.0 including Update 1 or higher. However, an additional SIMATIC S7-PLCSIM Advanced V3.0 license is not required.
- It is possible to subscribe to a Software Update Service
TIA Portal Openness
You can use the API interface of WinCC and STEP 7 in the TIA Portal to integrate the TIA Portal in your development environment and automate your engineering tasks. Write your own applications with external development environments, for example, a code generator for HMI screens and PLC blocks.
The following new functions are available with TIA Portal Openness V16:
- Provision of several API versions
Because the Openness DLLs of V14 SP1, V15, V15.1 and V16 are included in the scope of delivery, applications based on V14 SP1, V15 or V15.1 run without modification also with V16. To use the functions of V16, you must integrate the DLL of V16 and re-compile the application.
- XML export of the snapshot of actual values
The snapshot of the actual values is stored in the XML file during export via Openness. Different snapshots can therefore be compared via XML files.
- Fault-tolerant XML import of inconsistent blocks
Block XMLs can be imported, even if used UDTs or called blocks are not available or not matching in the target project.
- F/PLC station upload via Openness
A station upload to an empty project can be triggered from an F/PLC via Openness during runtime. The station upload is expanded by the following data: Recipes, data logs and user files
- PLC offline/offline comparison
Automatically triggered comparison of two PLCs which can be in different projects.
- Automatic protection of blocks
A block can be protected using Openness API know-how. Conversely, a know-how-protected block can be unlocked via Openness API.
- Download to an R/H PLC
Automatic download of the R/H PLC, which can be operated redundantly and is available in TIA Portal V15.1, consisting of the primary and backup PLC.
- Export and import of watch tables
Export of watch tables to XML and import of watch tables from XML.
- Reading out checksums of a PLC S7-1500 and S7-1200.
Checksums can be read out for the following data: Hardware, connection, routing, certificates, text lists, download, fail-safe program, change counter
- Reading of block checksums
Checksums can be determined for blocks. A user can independently add the checksums for code, interface, comment, etc. to the exported XML.
- Parameter-specific access to ET 200SP modules
Reading/writing of HW moduleparameters of ET 200SP is supported
- Opening reference project
In a TIA Portal instance, a project for editing can be opened via Openness as before, and it is now also possible to open an additional project - read-only - as reference project
- Archive or retrieve project
API-controlled access to the TIA Portal functions project archiving and project retrieval
- Save global libraries under a different name
Copies of global libraries can now be created via Openness.
Extension of the support for the configuration of assemblies and modules
Configuration of the S7-1500 PLCs and ET200SP modules such as: OPC UA server configuration and user management, certificate management, web server configuration and user management, monitoring tables for web server and display
Export and import of technology objects
TIA Portal Cloud Connector - Flexible access to centralized IT infrastructure
The TIA Portal Cloud Connector enables access to local PG/PC interfaces and connected SIMATIC hardware from the TIA Portal Engineering while the engineering is taking place via a remote desktop on a server of a private cloud.
Central software management on a private cloud server for various TIA Portal Engineering software and versions – making local installation on the workstation computer superfluous
Online access from the server via the workstation to PLC/HMI hardware in the laboratory or in a production cell
Reduction of workplace hardware requirements
The TIA Portal Cloud Connector tunnels the S7 communication between engineering software on the server and the local interfaces of the personal computer
In order to activate communication, the TIA Portal Cloud Connector must be started at both ends – server and personal computer.
Communication takes place as standard with TCP/IP (uncoded). A coded HTTPS connection can be used starting with Windows 8.1. For this purpose, authentication and encryption certificates must be exchanged between server and personal computer.
Using his/her personal computer, the user can be connected to the server via a remote desktop and directly access PLC/HMI hardware connected to the personal computer online.
Software for use with separately licensed TIA Portal products, which are released for the Cloud Connector, according to "Specific Terms for the Use of Software in Connection with the TIA Portal CloudConnector"
The software is in delivery scope of STEP7/WinCC (TIA Portal) DVD rsp. program download.
TIA Portal Multiuser Engineering - Several engineers simultaneously working on the same project
TIA Portal Multiuser Engineering allows several users to work on the same project simultaneously. Working in local sessions is carried out independently of each other, changes made by other users are displayed and can be accepted.
The basic principle:
The project administration is handled by an autonomous server application. This can be installed independent of a TIA Portal.
Significant reduction in configuration times, and projects can be commissioned faster.
Existing Know-how of specialists can be optimally integrated
Area of application
TIA Portal Multiuser Engineering can be used to implement different working options:
- Scenario 1
Several configuration engineers work cross-device on different objects. Each configuration engineer processes the objects assigned to him/her on different devices (controllers).
- Scenario 2
Several configuration engineers work device-oriented on different objects. Each configuration engineer processes the objects assigned to him/her on only one device (controller)
- Scenario 3
Several configuration engineers work technology-oriented on different objects. Each configuration engineer works on defined technological objects (e.g. Motor_1 or Motor_2) on all existing devices (controllers).
The project administration is located on a local or external server.
Different users work in local sessions, based on the projects administered by the server
Working in local sessions is carried out independently
Changes made in the local sessions are transferred to the server project by checking-in.
Checked-in changes made by other users are displayed and can be easily accepted.
TIA Portal User Management Component (UMC) - Global user administration for increasing plant security
Efficient user management is a key part of every security concept. User management in the TIA Portal enables system-wide, central maintenance of users, including an optional connection to
Windows Active Directories. The person-specific assignment of roles and authorizations minimizes maintenance effort while achieving a high degree of transparency. This provides a solid foundation for efficient and consistent administration of personalized access rights in the plant, which significantly reduces security risks.
The TIA User Management Component (UMC) option provided with TIA Portal V16 offers the possibility of global user administration. Users and user groups can be defined and managed across projects. Users and user groups can also be taken from a Microsoft Active Directory.
Global users and user groups can be imported into the various TIA Portal projects in which these users will work. These user accounts are defined and managed outside the TIA Portal in UMC (User Management Component). To add users and user groups from UMC, the corresponding rights are required in UMC.
TIA Portal User Management Component (UMC) offers:
Central cross-project user management in the system
Managing user groups
Import of Windows users and user groups
Efficient administration of users / user groups in a system
Fault tolerance through redundant design of a UMC domain
Load distribution of login request surges by means of several UMC stations in a UMC domain
TIA Portal Teamcenter Gateway - Connecting the Engineering with the PLM-System
Integration of the automation technology into the PLM system Teamcenter is achieved using the TIA Portal Teamcenter Gateway. Cross-discipline and consistent data management of all machine data is then possible.
The automation engineer can be integrated in Teamcenter workflows based on business processes within the company, e.g. in release or change management.
The Teamcenter Gateway permits administration of TIA Portal projects and global libraries in Teamcenter.
Teamcenter operations like saving, opening, revising etc.are carried out directly from the TIA Portal.
Used TIA libraries are automatically linked to TIA projects in Teamcenter
Fewer faults in the engineering phase as a result of consistent cross-discipline data management
Reduced search effort for the correct version of TIA projects or libraries