The best motors for motion control deserve the best complements
Accessories for motion control motors
All up and down the line, Siemens Industry integrates optimum efficiency to increase your productivity and reduce total installed cost. This includes the connections that are between the products – the motor accessories. Choose Siemens for motion control motor cables and external “built-on” motor encoders specially designed for motion control challenges.
For best measure
Motion control encoders, direct measuring systems that are built-on to shafts, axes or motors, are optoelectronic devices that detect the traversing distances, angles of rotation, speeds or positions of machine axes. They can be used in conjunction with numerical and programmable logic controllers, drives and position displays.
Siemens motion control encoders are system-tested, certified components that have been harmonized for use with the following systems:
- Incremental encoders
detect relative movement and deliver a defined number of electrical pulses per revolution, which represent the measurement of the traveled distance or angle
- Abosolute encoders
output an absolute angular position between 0° and 360°. They operate on the same scanning principle as incremental encoders, but have a greater number of tracks. For example, if there are 13 tracks, then 213 = 8192 steps are coded in the case of single-turn encoders. The code used is a one-step code (gray code). This prevents any scanning errors from occurring. After switching on the machine, the position value is transferred immediately to the controller, travel to a reference point is not necessary
- All motion control encoders are available in Synchro flange and clamp flange versions. The absolute encoders are also available with a hollow shaft and torque arm.
- The motion control encoders are driven via a plug-in coupling or spring disk coupling. Alternatively, pulleys can also be used.
Vibration resistant and field-replaceable
Siemens combines the electronics for the encoder itself with the communication parts for the electronic rating plate. Thus the encoder is vibration-separated from the motor by a coupling which also allows it to be replaced in the field without signal alignment needs.
The advantages of rplacing the encoder without un- mounting the motor from the machine
Saves time and money
The machine is up and running faster
When to go external
For example, if a motor is driving rolls for web handling and the web slips; an encoder mounted to a surface-sensing roll could measure the real web speed, which is critical to the production process. External encoders can also help to improve the motion control quality of weak mechanicals systems with play in the drive train between motor and load, and subsequently close the position control loop. As a result, the external motor encoder system can more accurately control the movements of weak and loose mechanical systems, improving product quality and increasing productivity.
Open encoder interface
Utilizing the most advanced connection technology, Siemens MOTION-CONNECT advanced motor cable solutions are industry-preferred for machine tools, production machines, and general motion control applications. Both UL-CSA and VDE certified the power and signal cables have been specifically designed for servo, industion, and direct-drive motors for motion control applications and system tested with Siemens Motion Controllers and Drives: SINAMICS, SIMODRIVE, and MASTERDRIVES drives, SIMOTION motion controllers, SINUMERIK CNC, and SIMATIC automation.
SIMOTICS motor cable technology – key benefits
Secure system performance
The cutting-edge performance of your motion control system is ensured by Siemens system-tested MOTION-CONNECT cables. All cables are shielded, ensuring the highest EMC safety standards
Ease of use
Each motor cable is provided preconfigured and ready to use. The newly developed SPEED CONNECT technology for power connectors provides a vibration-secure connection with a simple 45-degree rotation of the lock
MOTION-CONNECT cables are available cut to length in 0.1 m increments, allowing preconfigured cables to be adapted precisely to fit the application. The three different MOTION-CONNECT cable options - 500, 700 and 800 – provide added flexibility in performance capability
Open encoder interface
With DRIVE-CLiQ, motor and encoder information is automatically programed into the drive, saving programming time and eliminating mistakes.
DRIVE-CLiQ is an open encoder interface. This enables users to select the measuring system that is perfectly tailored to their application. Encoders that use new measuring techniques (such as magnetic / inductive systems, magnetostrictive sensors, lasers) can also be connected through DRIVE-CLiQ.
This means that measuring systems can be integrated into the SINAMICS drive system that are tailored to the application in terms of price and function.
DRIVE-CLiQ for manufacturers of measuring systems
Encoder manufacturers have the option of offering linear or rotary encoders employing the DRIVE-CLiQ interface. For implementation, Siemens
- Interface ASIC DQ100 – this contains the DRIVE-CLiQ functionality. Through integration in the encoder electronics, the encoder has direct access to the DRIVE-CLiQ system interface. The cirquits can be ordered in batch sizes of 60, 240 and 1,200
- Development Kit for development and testing – used to develop DRIVE-CliQ encoders. It comprises a DQ100 evaluation board, driver software and documentation. DRIVE-CLiQ interface software can be developed using the DQ100 Evaluation Board, independent of the
- Driver software and documentation
Support and certification
Siemens Support Center will provide support in integration of the DRIVE-CLiQ encoder interface and will perform certification of the DRIVE-CLiQ measuring system.
Motor connecting cables – OCC (One Cable Connection)
All motors and drives for the SINAMICS S210 / SIMOTICS S-1FK2 servo system are connected up using just one single cable to transfer the power, connect an encoder and control the brake – simple connection without special tools.
- MOTION-CONNECT 500 cables are used for predominantly fixed routing
- MOTION-CONNECT 800 cables when routing cables in moving cable carriers (drag chains)
The cables can be ordered prefabricated with the required length.
- Prefabricated OCC motor connecting cable with SPEED-CONNECT plug connector (shield terminal is included in the scope of delivery)
- Prefabricated OCC motor connecting cable with SPEED-CONNECT plug connector with Siemens IX signal connector on the converter side provided separately (shield terminal is included in the scope of delivery)
- Prefabricated extension cable