JFR medium-voltage voltage regulators
Rated short-time withstand current 25 times rated current
Rated continuous current 50-1,660 A
Lightning impulse (BIL) 60-150 kV
Medium-voltage voltage regulators, type JFR
Step voltage regulators can improve the utility's return on investment by increasing demand at off-peak periods and, with certain accessories, even reduce the peak demand load. This translates into improved revenue for the utility company while also improving the quality of service to the customer.
The step-type voltage regulator takes an incoming voltage that will vary with load conditions and maintains a constant
output voltage. As the loading increases along the distribution feeder, the voltage will drop. This reduction in voltage
reduces the amount of power used by the lighting portion of the load. By increasing the voltage to this load, additional power is consumed. This increased power translates into increased revenue for the utility company. The same principle can
work for the utility company when it needs to reduce the voltage by a predetermined amount, thus reducing the overall power demand and delaying capital investments to meet peak demand.
Siemens provides a full range of ratings for most system voltages and current applications; manufacturing everything
from the smallest single-phase pole mount unit to large substation regulators.
When it comes to voltage regulation, Siemens provides technology that serves the customer. Our manufacturing
experience for voltage regulators and controls is unsurpassed in the industry. Today, Siemens has the largest quantity
of regulators installed worldwide.
The type JFR has been an industry leader since 1933. It is a single-phase 5/8% step regulator utilizing the Siemens type MJ4
or MJ5 control panel or adaptable to any control panel.
Medium-voltage voltage regulators, type JFR
- Electrostatically-applied polyester paint provides greater resistance to corrosion in harsh environments.
- Type-316 stainless steel external hardware to eliminate rust and galling.
- Sealed tank has pressure relief device to vent gases produced during tap changes. The Siemens 55°C rise regulators can be loaded to up to 12 percent above nameplate rating, with the 65°C insulation system.
- External metal-oxide varistor (MOV) bypass arrester provides superior protection to the regulator series winding from surge and system transients.
- Oil-sight gauge allows oil levels and oil conditions to be checked without de-energizing the regulator.
- Motor capacitor installed in the control cabinet allows replacement without bypassing and transitioning the regulator out of service.
- Polarized disconnect switch (PDS) facilitates easy control installation of change out without taking the regulator out of service.
- Cover-mounted terminal block provides easier access to wiring by eliminating the need to go under the oil to change tap connections.
- Monitor and automatically control output voltage through the use of state-of-the-art microprocessor control panels MJ-5.
- High-creep bushings provide a minimum creep distance of 17" (432 mm).
- Oil-drain valve includes an oil sampling valve for easy access.
- Platform base is equipped with provisions to securely attach regulator to sub-base assembly.
- Remote mounting cables 15' to 50' (4.5 m to 15.2 m)
- Substation bases
- Lightning arrester
- Bird guards
- Auxiliary potential transformer
- Auxiliary current transformer
- Bypass switches
- Paralleling balancers.
- Stainless-steel tank
- Esther fluid
- Padmount design
- +/- 20% regulation
- Heated cabinet
- Lightning arresters.
- Special ground pads/connectors
- Lowered control enclosure
- Special ultra-creep bushings
- Thermometers or fans (if possible)
- Special drain valves
- Nameplate changes/modifications.
- Source-side potential transformer
- Special current transformer.
- Above units are single-phase units manufactured and tested to ANSI C57.15.
- Units with catalog number starting with 10 are self-cooled while those with 11 are forced air-cooled.
The Siemens padmount voltage regulator offers a new dimension to underground system planning and design that preserves an aesthetically pleasing environment. Maintaining all of the functionality of a traditional regulator, the padmount voltage regulator promotes safety because there are no exposed high-voltage lines. Additionally, the tamper-resistant, secured cabinet design protects the access to components including the drain valve, bushings and cover bolts. The layout and positioning of the controls is on the narrow end of the box, which allows for additional placement options and smaller operational space requirements. The controls are ergonomically positioned for easy access for operators. The bushing connections and sample valve reside in the lower enclosure.
With the Siemens padmount voltage regulator, safety and reliability are enhanced, construction costs are reduced, and land requirements are smaller for a more attractive physical profile for the public.
Each Siemens padmount voltage regulator is delivered fully equipped, ready for installation, and includes:
- Full metal barrier separating the two compartments
- Three bushing wells and inserts for terminal connections
- Aesthetically pleasing rugged green paint
- Bolted oil-tank cover
- Lifting lugs
- Ground pads
- Oil-sight gage
- Automatic pressure relief valve
- Control panel mounted inside top enclosure and protected from natural elements.
- Pressure gauge
- Oil temperature thermometer
- Shunt arrestors
- Control heater assembly.