Medium-voltage vacuum generator circuit breakers, stationary type
Suitable for generators up to 200 MW
For 10 MW to 80 MW machines
Rated short-time withstand current up to 72 kA
Rated continuous current up to 6,000 A
Stationary type, medium-voltage vacuum generator circuit breakers
Siemens offers a fully customizable stationary type vacuum generator circuit breaker tested to IEEE C37.013. Each design is engineered to meet the specific electrical and mechanical application requirements of the project.
Stationary type GCB
- Continuous ratings of 3,000 A, 4,000 A, 5,000 A and 6,000 A
- Interrupting ratings of 50 kA, 63 kA, and 72 kA
- Maximum design voltage up to 24 kV
- Tested to IEEE C37.013 and C37.013a standard for generator circuit breakers
- Meets or exceeds the latest ANSI, IEEE, and NEMA standards
- Up to 50 full-fault interruptions
- No SF6 gas for insulation or interruption
- Pair with Siemens protective relays to provide complete generator protection
- Uses the latest developments in vacuum interrupter technology
- Highly reliable vacuum interrupters - MTTF over 50,000 years
- Common type 3AH3 operator platform
- Over 120,000 type 3AH3 operators produced since 1998
- Five-cycle interrupting time; threecycle interrupting time optional
- Complete enclosure shipped as a unit
- Stationary (fixed) mounted construction with disconnect and/or grounding switches on transformer side and generator side
- Front-accessible circuit breaker operating mechanism for ease of maintenance
- Self-cooled ratings available to 4,000 A and higher (ratings dependent)
- Arrangements available for typical non-segregated phase bus duct connections
- Optional arrangements for segregated-phase bus duct, cable duct, or other connections
- Current and voltage transformers available to suit specifications.
For smaller machines under 80 MW, refer to Siemens drawout type vacuum generator circuit breaker offering.
1 Interrupting time is based on the first current zero occuring not later than 66 ms after fault initiation, for example, %dc component <100.
2 Type testing to be completed.
TechTopics is a series of papers that discuss issues of interest to users or specifiers of electrical equipment.
- No. 02 - Loss of vacuum
- No. 14 - X-radiation emissions by vacuum interrupters
- No. 24 - Checking integrity of vacuum interrupters
- No. 44 - Anatomy of a short circuit
- No. 67 - %dc component
- No. 71 - Generator circuit breakers
- No. 72 - Generator circuit breaker applications - delayed current zeroes
- No. 73 - Generator circuit breaker applications - transient recovery voltage
- No. 77 - Residual voltage on load side of an open circuit breaker
- Entire TechTopics catalog